Cyanotype experiments - III


I've been experimenting with how to display the bones, and playing with Agar as a way of suspending them in a jelly like substance.  The texture of this is interesting and I can carve it to give a more external cuttlefish feel, it also creates an eerie entombed quality to the bone.  Unfortunatley the agar isnt clear and only lasts a week or so before it goes moldy!  It also tends to soak off the blue colour...  back to the drawing board

Today i'm also thinking about food.  Apparently Cuttlefish's favourite food is shrimp, closely followed by crab which is seems pretty sensible.  I've created ink drawing of both of these delicacies as well as of a cuttlefish in hunting mode.

I wanted to try using the reverse side of the bone, which has a different texture - harder, shinier and less ridged than the side ive been using as i'm finding the images are fading quite quickly on the ones I did a couple of weeks ago.



This one is the most successful of my experiments on the reverse.  I'm not sure if the chemicals are getting old but almost none of these experiments worked very well.  Alternatively maybe the exposure time was off as it was a very sunny day??
This one doesn't have the detailing of the previous attempts, but the contrast is greater and the blue is very strong.

Comments

Popular Posts