Watercolour pencils

Today I experimented with watercolour pencils.  Its the most figurative piece I've done so far which is slightly outside my comfort zone, but a good experiment with the pencils and an insight into what sort of things I could do I I decide to illustrate a story.

I like the cross between drawing and watercolour that these pencils offer.  It allowed me to do interesting marks to capture skin texture, but also blend colour.  There were limitations in terms of what colours were on offer so I've ended up with a pastel octopus, but equally the colour combinations do reflect the complexity and changeability of an octopuses skin.  I think the bit in the middle where ive used quite a bit of black as well a colour doesn't quite work - more blending maybe, or less lack and a stronger brown or shading?  I also wonder if the clarity of the suckers is lost and I either needed to make more abstract or more detailed. 

Comments

Popular Posts